Former National Security Adviser Sambo Dasuki, who was released on Friday by the State Security Service, SSS, after a 24-hour siege on his Abuja residence, has accused the Muhammadu Buhari administration of witch hunt, saying he was badly treated despite his effort at being fair to all while in office.
Mr. Dasuki, who was removed from office last week, said his “restraint” and fairness helped the Buhari’s All Progressives Congress, APC-led government to power. He said the government is now desperate to nail him for unclear reasons. “I was fair to all as NSA. Even when I had security cause to act on some issues, inflammatory comments and actions against the government of the day by those in the opposition, I exercised restraint. I did not restrict anyone’s movement, I never asked security agents to occupy anybody’s house.
“But that is the new change we have, this is our own definition of democracy. All I know is that everything has a beginning and an end in a democracy. I gave my best for this transition, which led to the victory of the opposition over the ruling party,” Mr. Dasuki said. He condemned the SSS for also breaking into his father’s house in his home state of Sokoto.
The former NSA was held alongside a retired colonel, Bello Fadile, between Thursday and Friday. Mr. Dasuki recounted his experience, and narrated how more than a dozen SSS operatives in two trucks barred him from leaving his house, and stopped other people from entering the property for 24 hours.
“The SSS operatives came in two trucks with a search warrant from a Magistrate Court. The warrant gave them the power to search for illegal weapons and any incriminating item. You can imagine what that is supposed to mean,” he said. “I left office on Tuesday and they got the warrant on Wednesday and executed it by 6pm on Thursday. From 6pm on Thursday, throughout the night till about 6am this morning (Friday), they were searching my house looking for incriminating items”
“They restricted my movement. I cannot go out and no one can visit me. All those who attempted to see me were stopped from doing so.In fact, my son was blocked from entering my residence. My two cooks, who used to come from their homes to prepare my meals, were also disallowed from leaving my house”
“The only person allowed was the man who feeds my dogs. And he only related with the dogs.”
He said by Friday morning, the personnel evacuated all the nine cars in his residence.
“I could not go out to perform the Eid-el-Fitr prayer because of the restriction,” he said.
“Even when I sought permission to go to Eid Praying ground, they promised to provide a vehicle but they never did.”
He said the government is desperate about implicating him.
“This is just a witch-hunt; they are desperately looking for something to implicate me.
“They went to my father’s house including breaking into the ceiling to look for incriminating documents. They broke a safe in my father’s house.
“Also, my sister kept a 20-year old box in my father’s house, they also forced it open. What has my father got to do with this?
“And the old man is in hospital in London. He was shocked to hear that they broke into his house. The good thing is that they did not find anything.
“They brought the photocopy of a 2007 draft by my brother, Ahmed, and asked me to comment on it. Was I in office in 2007 as NSA? You can see the extent to which they are ready to go to implicate me,” he said.
On the allegations against him regarding purchase of arms, funds for counter-insurgency and the seized $15million in South Africa, Mr. Dasuki said: “I read some of these allegations in the media but nobody has asked me some of these things they are saying. I was not even in charge of some of these things. How do I account for all?
“And if you want me to respond to these issues, you have to give me access to relevant documents. You do not need to restrict my movement. You can see that they are just out to set me up. Even if they find a knife in my house, they will say it is incriminating.”
“There are some who should account 10 times for some of these allegations they are raising but they are walking about freely,” he added.
Mr. Dasuki said as a retired senior military officer and ex-NSA, he ought to be better treated.
“Everybody should know what is happening. They sent some low-level officers, looking for something to implicate me.
“It is just a witch-hunt. If you want me to make clarifications on any issue, in the spirit of democracy and the rule of Law, have the courtesy to invite me and as a gentleman, I will honour the invitation. Sending two trucks to lay siege on my house and restrict my movement is just abysmal.